- 1 cup millet
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup halved and thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped black olives
- 1 cup small-dice English cucumber
Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. When it’s heated, add millet and toast, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and aromatic, about 7 minutes. Stir in water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a vigorous simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until millet is tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Evenly spread millet in a single layer on a baking sheet and let cool slightly, at least 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients and stir to coat. Add cooled millet and stir to thoroughly combine. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving; serve chilled or at room temperature